Friday, June 19, 2009

Hardcore Sewing

I've never been one to do things halfway. When something piques my interest - a new hobby, a genre of literature, a nice bottle of cabernet - I'm not content to just kinda/sorta/maaaaybe try it out. I like to do things all the way. I have to master that hobby. I have to read a dozen books in that particular genre. I have to empty that bottle of wine. Come to think of it, the wine-downing often accompanies the mastering of the hobbies, and maybe that's why, in the process of mastering my latest hobby (sewing), I somehow managed to sew through my finger. Yes, through my finger. With my sewing machine.

It was late, and I was sipping my favorite red while working on a dress for my friend Jen's daughter when it happened. My first thought was, "Did I just sew through my finger?" My second thought was, "Why, yes, I think I did," which was quickly followed by my third throught: "Wow, I'm HARDCORE." A few seconds later, the adrenaline had worn off, and my finger started to hurt like a you-know-what, and at that point, my only thought was, "Holy Scheiße! HO. LY. SCHEIßE!" Only not in German.
.
Thankfully, I didn't bleed on the dress I was sewing, and even if I did, I don't think it would have mattered, because the fabric was - get this - white with red spots. Ha! As you can probably gather, the dress pictured above is not the dress I was working on. It was a very similar dress to this one, which was a gift for my friend Hugo's daughter Dani. I'm only picturing Dani's dress as a point of reference for you, and also to act as a clumsy segueway to something completely unrelated.

How absolutely adorable is Benjamin in that dress? Now, before you starting thinking I'm some crazy woman who cross-dresses her son, let me just say that the only reason he's wearing that dress is because I wanted to - no - NEEDED to put it on him to check the fit. And fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), Benjamin really seemed to enjoy wearing the dress. In fact, he actually threw a screaming tantrum when I took it off of him to wrap up for Dani. I guess I'm going to have to make him a dress of his own, but he'd better learn how to sit in one if I do. I mean, look at how he's sitting in the last picture on the left - legs akimbo, skirt hiked up. No son of mine is going to sit like that in a dress!

No comments: