Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Benjamin: My Own Prenatal Exercise Program

Remember how I was complaining a month or so ago that my belly was growing faster during this pregnancy than it did during my last one? Well, I may have spoken too soon, because it seems like the blossoming of my bump has taken a breather. A visit to my OB confirmed my weight gain has slowed, but not for want of trying. As my hubby, my friends, or my Boo will attest, I've developed a near-uncontrollable craving for McDonald's. In a typical week, I'll inhale a Sausage McMuffin with Egg Combo at least two or three times. Or, if it's after 10:30 am, I'll have the Two Cheeseburger Combo instead. Oh, man, the very mention of those gastronomical goodies is making me salivate and reach for my car keys. But I won't. I may be unable to stop myself from swinging through a drive-through when I'm already on the road, but I won't allow myself to leave home to make a special trip just to get Mickey D's. Not yet, anyway. With four months of pregnancy left, anything is possible!
.
So in what crazy, upside-down world does pigging out on fast food not equal blowing up like a whale? In a crazy, upside-down world where you have to take care of one of these:
.
The Boo definitely keeps me on my toes. In fact, I've noticed that many women going through pregnancy with a toddler in tow seem to remain fairly un-pregnant-looking in all areas other than the tummy area. But I'm not going to kid myself here - at the end of my last pregnancy, I puffed up to the point where Vince felt the need to point out that my feet looked like Fiona's. You know, Fiona, right? She's Shrek's wife.


Although Benjamin's been trying his toddler best to drive me insane, I've been fortunate enough to get help from others. My amazing best friend Deb has, true to Deb form, been over to run Boo interference so I can get things done. My thoughtful father- and mother-in-law have also come by to hang out with their little grandson. Benjamin gets a fun visit, I get a much-needed break, and the Boo-watchers get so completely worn out that they sleep really well that night. Everyone wins!!
An additional diversion has come in the form of our Emerson Mommy and Me class, which had been on hiatus for the summer break. It's a nice chance for me to sit and chat with other moms (many of whom are pregnant with their second kids) going through the same trying toddler times that I am, while Benjamin works out all that extra energy on the playground. Here, you can see him hanging out with two of his best gals, Kayla and Presley.

Since the kids are older now, they get to engaged in some more intellectual activities such as storytime.

Their creative sides are also nurtured during arts and crafts.

But boys will be boys, and Benjamin's favorite part of class remains the part where he gets to play in the sandbox and get himself thoroughly filthy. And because it seems that sandbox sand was specifically engineered to adhere to sticky, sweaty little toddler feet...

...My lovely floors get to get all filthy, too. But luckily, the Boo is learning to clean up after himself.

There's hope yet!

No comments: