Friday, January 7, 2011

NYE Party Crasher

Our New Year's Even plans last year were modest: get together with friends Julie and Shawn to play our favorite board game The Settlers of Cataan. Unfortunately, the powers that be (and by "powers that be" I'm talking about my then-unborn daughter) had other plans.
.
There I am, 6.5 months preggers and laid up in the hospital hoping that my daughter isn't planning an escape. Obviously, Vince and I had to take a raincheck on our exciting plans to play board games with the neighbors. Thanks, Calliope!
.
This NYE, we decided to cash that raincheck. We ordered pizza, filled up our wine glasses, and set up Settlers. Then just as we were about to start playing...
.
See those chubby legs in the video display? They belong to Calliope. And see those lights below the video display? Yup, they're red. In case you're not familiar with how baby monitors work, red lights = bad. One bar of red = Baby is crying. Two bars of red = Baby is really crying. Three bars of red = Get your ass into the nursery, mama, because you're not going to get to cash in that raincheck from last NYE after all. Once again, THANKS, Calliope. I tried to look on the bright side, though. Things could be worse. Instead of one red-lined baby monitor, I could be dealing with this:
.

Double the fun!
.
The next morning, Calliope showed no signs of fatigue from being up all night. No fatigue, and no remorse. When I asked her if she felt bad about ruining mommy and daddy's NYE get-together, she gave me this look:
.
Is it possible for a 10-month-old baby to gloat? Methinks, yes.
.
Here's to 2010!

2 comments:

Renee said...

Adorable... and hilarious!!!

lilyliuchan@gmail.com said...

Aw, thanks, Naybes! How's your motherhood journey going? I hope all is well!!