Sunday, July 6, 2008

Then and Now

My (not so) little brother Leon and his fiancee Claire were in town for the long weekend, and I couldn't help but reflect on how much things had changed since the previous July 4th. This time last year, my brother was not yet affianced, Vince and I were in the process of moving into our new home, Oliver was a blissful only child, and I was about 7 weeks pregnant. Now Oliver is sharing the spotlight with pudgy usurper Benjamin, and I'm about to gain a sister-in-law. It's amazing how much can change in one short year.

The weekend was marked by food, food, and more food. On July 4th, we enjoyed a feast of BBQed steak, corn on the cob, salad, fruit, cake, and more cake at Vince's parents' home. A few days later after we finished digesting that meal, we celebrated my mom's birthday with dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.

The weekend was also marred- I mean, marked- by Rock Band. Having discovered that women with new babies don't have much free time to play the game with him, Vince was very happy to find that Claire and Leon were willing participants. As I watched them eagerly banging away at the songs, I was forced to reflect once again on how much things had changed in my life. A few years ago, I was a part of rock band of a different sort. Instead of playing in the living room, we played at The Viper Room...

I had an experienced drummer instead of a newbie who needed some hand-holding...

My guitarist Elias impressed the fans with his shredding mojo and Van Halen-esque solos, but I'll admit it's pretty sweet that I get to make out with the guitarist of my current band...

As I journeyed down memory lane, I started to get a little nostalgic for the crazy days of yore with my old band. But then I caught a glimpse of my current drummer and guitarist taking a break, and I realized that I wouldn't trade that band for this one. Not for any amount of fame, riches, or glory.

2 comments:

Michal said...

he LOVES that monkey!!!

Debbie Kee said...

I love how you had tens of thousands of groupies knocking at your door - and now... YOU'RE the groupie!! Paparazzi photos, kisses to the band - what next?? I hear that pudgy little drummer in red, rockin the long waves has got some pretty mean beats. He's cute... is he single???