Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Boo-Hoo-in' at the Bruin

At least once a month, Benjamin and I pay a visit to one of hospitals affiliated with UCLA. There are a myriad of reasons for these visits: doing blood tests, picking up medication, and seeing doctors are among them. During our latest visit, I decided that it was time Benjamin saw more of my alma mater than the all-too-familiar rotation of doctors' offices, laboratories, and exam rooms. As an introduction, I took him to the heart of the campus: the Bruin Bear that stood proudly in Westwood Plaza.

As we stood at the base of the Bruin Bear, I regaled Benjamin with stories of my college days. My heart swelled with emotion as I began telling him about the first time I stood in Westwood Plaza.

To give him a better view, I lifted Benjamin up so he could see the Bruin's magnificent maw.

Unfortunately, Benjamin did not respond the way I had hoped he would. I've seen similar tears from my husband when we've visited UCLA before, but in his case, they're from the torture of hearing my college stories for the hundredth time.