Thursday, May 13, 2010

Calliope's First Mother's Day

This past Sunday was Mother's Day, and since it was my first one as a mom of two, I wondered if the children (and by "the children" I mean "my husband") would surprise me with something special. Well, they didn't disappoint. Imagine the surprise on my face when Benjamin presented me with my Mother's Day gift - a doggy poo bag.
.
Of course, there wasn't actually poo inside the poo bag; the bag was merely my wrapping-challenged husband's attempt at packaging my gift. Inside were two boxes, each containing a pewter photo frame. One frame was shaped like a little boy, the other like a little girl, and each was engraved with my children's names. It was a whimsical, thoughtful gift that made me smile.
.
In the afternoon, Vince, the kids, and I went to Vince's parents' house for dinner. My own mother, who was still in town, had headed out early to treat herself to a day of pampering (and some much-deserved quiet time sans screaming children!) and would be meeting us after dinner back at home.
.
This was Calliope's first Chan family gathering, and Vince's parents spent much time holding her and posing for pictures.
.
Though much attention was paid to the only granddaughter in the family, the grandsons had a great time, too!
.
After dinner was over, we headed head to reconnect with my mom. In the car, we gave her a call to let her know we were on our way back. As we pulled into the garage, I was surprised to see her waiting for us there. Before we even had a chance to cut the engine, she already was opening the door to smother the kids with hugs and kisses!
.
Though she'd enjoyed her relaxing day away from the madness of our home, it was obvious that my mom had missed her grandbabies. I was fully prepared to give her the rest of the night off from all child-minding duties, but she insisted on getting down on hands and knees to "talk" to Calliope.
.
The woman is a glutton for punishment!

No comments: