Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thank You, Mom

Ever since my high school graduation, my mom and I have lived far apart. During my college years when she resided primarily in Atlanta, we were separated by a continent. After college, when my mom began spending most of her time in China, we were separated by half a world. The geographical distance, however, has never stopped her from being there by my side any time I've needed her. When I was a frightened college student paralyzed by depression, she crashed on my couch for two weeks to make sure I didn't feel alone. When I wrecked my car and my body in a freeway pileup, she was at my bedside in two days flat (mind you, it takes two days just to get from China to Los Angeles). After I had Benjamin and was faced with the terrifying prospect of caring for him while Vince was away on business, she quietly changed her flight home to leave after he returned. And this year, when both me and my brother's wife had babies within days of one another, she spent almost four months camping out on pull-out beds and floor mats so she could take care of the newborns, new moms, and tired dads.
.
My mom's 2010 odyssey began in January when she flew out to help care for Benjamin while I was hugely pregnant with Calliope. Once Calliope was born, my mom had her hands full helping me make it through what I like to call "Newborn Boot Camp."
.
It was important to my mom that her grandson not feel neglected or unloved during this time of change. When she wasn't busy watching Calliope, she made sure to spend quality time with Benjamin. Suffice it to say, she was one busy grandma! She did, however, get an extended break from the craziness of our home...
.
...when she flew to Kansas City to help my brother and sister-in-law care for their newborn, Cristian. From what I heard, Cristian was not a great sleeper, preferring - as many new babies do -to spend his nights wide awake torturing his parents. After six weeks there helping Leon and Claire, she returned to LA...
.
...and to the particular kind of madness that only exists in homes with a newborn and a toddler. Lucky for her, she didn't spend all of her time caring for the kids.
.
She took time off to cook dinner for us every night, too.
.
My mom left to go home this past Wednesday. Within hours of dropping her off at the airport, I received a call from Calliope's hematologist telling me she'd have to have a transfusion. After scrambling to figure out childcare for Benjamin and pack a bag for the night, we sped to the hospital. It wasn't until the next day when Calliope was discharged that it really hit me: my mom had gone back to China. And I really, really missed her. When we got back from the hospital, a scene of chaos greeted me: dirty plates were in the kitchen sink, a hamper by the couch was full of laundry was waiting to be folded, and even though I was starving, there was nothing to eat. I wanted to cry. Had my mom been there, the kitchen would have been clean, the laundry would have been folded, and I would have opened the door to the smell of a hot meal cooking on the stove. But more than any of that, what I missed the most was just knowing that she was there, knowing that I could draw on her for strength and support.
.
Mom, I can't begin to thank you enough for everything you've done for me and my family. I am so lucky to have you as my mother, and you inspire me to be the best mother that I can be for Calliope and Benjamin. I love you!

1 comment:

Renee said...

That is so sweet... what a touching love letter to your mom... It virtually brought me to tears... must be the hormones. Oh wait, I don't think I've had the chance to tell you yet but Clay and I are expecting later this year. :)