Thursday, July 15, 2010

Red, White, and Boo

This past July 4th fell on a Sunday, and in many ways, it was like any other Sunday. First thing in the morning, we drove down to Gardena to meet our dear friends Julie, Shawn, and Nolan for dim sum. It was, as always, very nice to see them, but later in the day I had someone even more exciting to hang out with...
.
The Boo!
.
For two whole years, it was just the two of us. Since his sister's arrival, though, he's no longer been able to have my undivided attention, and I could feel that this was causing him considerable stress. Even worse than that, however, is the fact that I haven't been able to spend any quality time with him. I really missed my Boo.
.
So on the afternoon of this past Independence Day, Vince watched the baby so that I could spend some one-on-one time with my firstborn. Since it was such a beautiful day, we decided to take Benjamin's balance bike out for a spin. I loved watching him "pedal" away, his little fists gripping the handlebars tightly and a determined look on his face.
.
We stopped to catch our breath in one of the neighborhood parks. The sun had warmed the ground, and Benjamin couldn't resist taking his shoes off to dig his toes into the dirt.
.
Before heading home, we finished our date with dessert at Pinkberry. It was a treat to watch him demolish his frozen treat.
.
Later in the evening after the kids had gone to bed, we attended a Fourth of July party at our neighbors' home. These people were young professionals with no kids, as were the majority of their guests. Vince and I stood on their balcony in our sleek outfits and watched fireworks go off in the distance while we sipped cocktails, ate sushi, and engaged in adult conversation uninterrupted by the needs of small children. How refreshing! You'd think that it would have been the highlight of my day, but it wasn't. My mind kept flitting back to the afternoon I'd spent with my wonderfully grubby, stinky little boy with whom conversation consisted of being interrupted by monosyllables and incomplete sentences.
.
I'll take him over cocktails and sushi any day!

No comments: