Thursday, September 2, 2010

A (Self-)Portrait of the Artist as a (Very) Young Man

A few days ago, while I was puttering in the kitchen, Benjamin was around the corner in his playroom. I could hear him in there making all sorts of noise, and then all of the sudden, it got quiet. Then I heard him say in a soft, slow voice, "Eyes... Nose... Mouse..." Mouse? Huh? I ran over to see what was going on.
.
The Boo was standing in front of his MagnaDoodle and had drawn upon it a face. A face with two eyes, a nose, a pursed little "mouse," and even some hair. I asked him, "Benjamin, who is that?" He beamed up at me, placed his hand on his chest and proudly replied, "It's Ben Ben!"
.
Call me biased, but I think this self-portrait bears more than a passing resemblance to its subject - right down to the messy little mohawk!

No comments: