Friday, October 15, 2010

"I Shall Call Her... Mini-Me!"

A few weeks ago, my mom came for a visit. The last time she saw the kids was six months ago, so they had changed quite a bit. Calliope in particular had grown from a wrinkled newborn to a chubby little girl who bore an uncanny resemblance to her namesake. As you can see, she looks like my mom's Mini-Me; she has my mom's same smile and same face shape. My mom lamented that she even inherited her same fine hair, but the real lament is that she got that famous (or infamous) Josephine Liu temper. As Vince put it, it was long week with three generations of crazy Liu women under one roof!
.
Along with her sunny disposition, Calliope also seems to have inherited my mom's love of music. We took her to her first music class, where she spent an hour joyfully banging on drums, clapping her hands, and shouting along with the music.
.
A week later, my dad flew out from China to join the party. He was very excited to see his granddaughter, because he'd only had a chance to hold her once before she was whisked away to the NICU. Is it just me, or does he look like he's trying to keep a little distance between himself and the two Josephines in this picture?
.
Of course, he was also very excited to see his grandson, too. Benjamin had a great time showing off his soccer chops to his Hao Gong. Check out that form! The height of that ball! And those knee-high pleather boots!
.
Although Benjamin may have inherited his Dad's wacky blood cells, it looks like that mug came straight from the Liu side of the family. Guess my mom's not the only one with a Mini-Me!
.
It's funny how I left home seventeen years ago only to find myself living with the same two faces again.

1 comment: