Friday, October 24, 2008

Benjamin's World

One of the best parts of being a new mom is seeing the world as a baby sees it. Ordinary, everyday objects are transformed into exciting new things. In Benjamin's world, a wooden table becomes a playground on which he can hang out with buds Lucy and Presley. And if you ask Lucy, an everyday picnic blanket is no longer a boring old bed linen; it's actually a beach in Ibiza.
.
At our class on Friday, squashy playroom toys become a fortress and a tunnel for my wee one, and a mundane file box becomes his podium.
.
But my favorite part of Benjamin's world is seeing the transformation of something - rather someone - who has been in my own world for a while. In Benjamin's world, Vince is no longer husband and leaver-of-dirty-socks-on-the-floor. He is transformed into a big friendly monster, a protector, and a partner-in-crime.

It's an amazing transformation to watch, and I can't help but smile when I see it happen. I might, however, smile more if he would take that transformation to the next level and become a big friendly tile-scrubbing monster or partner-in-laundry. Then again, I guess that means that I would have to become a partner-in-plant-watering or a protector-of-counter-space-from-unread-fashion-magazines. Yes, I suppose no one's perfect. And to be honest, I'm happy with our imperfect world, because to Benjamin, everything in it - including his Mommy and Daddy - is perfectly fine the way it is.

2 comments:

Sierra Rein said...

Ben looks like he's going to grow up to be a talk show host :)

Catherine (aka Lucy's Mommy) said...

Thank you for censoring my daughter! :)
And you hit the nail right on the head--it's one of the best parts about being a parent, seeing the world through your child's eyes! Well said!