Sunday, October 12, 2008

Like Mother, Like Son 2

As I mentioned in a previous post, Benjamin's figured out how to crawl. Backwards. I was hoping that he's soon learn how to shift gears from Reverse to Drive, but that hasn't happened yet. He has, however, become pretty proficient at moving backwards. I've even seen him back up to a desired toy or destination, sit, and then pivot so that he's facing it. Pretty nifty, huh? Unfortunately, he's not always able to do this. About once a day, he reverses so quickly that he actually wedges himself beneath the couch before he knows what's happened. At that point, sitting and pivoting is no longer an option, so he turns to Plan B: crying for Mommy.

All that reversing, sitting, pivoting, and crying must have really taken a toll on my poor baby, because on Friday he was barely able to keep his eyes open through our Parent Education class. As the party raged on around him, Benjamin slept soundly.

His superhuman powers of slumber were a source of interest to parents and babies alike. Classmates Caroline and Calvin were especially curious, and they crawled over to investigate what was going on.

As I watched him doze through the din, I scoffed that this ability surely must have come from his father's side of the family tree. Even if Benjamin did inherit my ability to crawl backwards, there's no way on God's green earth I would be caught dead snoozing through a party! You shoulda seen me back in the day - I loved parties! I was a veritable party animal! But then I had a flashback to one particular party at Vince's place several years ago, and the scene before me suddenly seemed strangely familiar.

I also remembered the cranky expression on my face upon being roused from my slumber.

Hmmm... I guess maybe I wasn't as much of a party animal as I remembered.

2 comments:

Catherine (aka Lucy's Mommy) said...

HAHA! Too cute!

And don't worry Benjamin, Lucy loves you no matter what direction you crawl!

Sierra Rein said...

hilarious!

Look at those equally expressive eyebrows in the last two pictures. If that isn't direct proof of lineage, I don't know what else is.