Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lilies for Lily at Lilly's or My Surprise Baby Shower

Several months ago, me and my two mom friends Julie and Sheila started up a weekly ritual: each Friday, barring illness, travel, or other circumstance, we meet at the local mall for lunch with the kids. It's a fun tradition which allows us to get the kids together to play while also squeezing in some mommy social time.
.It's also extremely exhausting. Benjamin, Nolan, and Kayla are a rambunctious crew, and they feed off of one another when together. This makes for a lot of yelling, chasing, and cajoling on the part of us moms. Julie said that after our Friday lunches, she often feels like she's run a marathon!

One day, Sheila suggested that we meet up some weekend for a relaxing brunch sans offspring. Of course Julie and I jumped on the idea, and we decided to have our moms-only brunch in late January at a French cafe in nearby Venice called Lilly's. Parking in Venice can be a nightmare, so Sheila picked us up in her car, and the three of us headed to what I thought was going to be a mellow meal with two friends. We valeted the car and walked into the restaurant, where I saw this:
.
A surprise baby shower! Can you imagine my shock? In case you can't, here's a visual:
.
I was so shocked that I nearly peed myself! Everything was so lovely, from the lily-themed decorations and favors to the Sprinkles cupcakes. The masterminds behind this surprise? Deb, Julie, and Yvonne. The three of them had been planning this little shindig for quite a while, and they'd managed to keep it a secret from me!
.
Even though the shower was supposed to be more of a "sprinkle," there was a veritable downpour of gifts. As a special touch, each person brought a book for big brother Benjamin to read.
.
Clockwise from left: Co-conspirators Deb, Julie, and Yvonne; Neighbors and fellow moms Monica and Shelby; Vince's Mom and Vince's sister Adele; fellow mom friend Brooke and neighbor/mom friend Holly; neighbor and mom friend Sheila; friend Jeni and high school BFF Jen.
.
The greatest gift, however, was seeing my dearest female friends gathered in one place to welcome my soon-to-be born daughter into the world.
.
After the festivities concluded, I hugged my girlfriends good-bye, and Julie and I piled back into Sheila's car for the drive home. My head still reeling from the events of the morning, I was caught off-guard for the second time by yet another surprise:
.
As though planning such an amazing shower wasn't already enough, Julie, Deb, and Yvonne pitched in and bought a bassinet for the baby! Tucked inside the bassinet was a box full of newborn necessities from one of my favorite stores, The Pump Station.
.
I was overwhelmed by their thoughtfuless. What had I ever done to deserve such a caring group of friends? I was truly blessed to have them, and my daughter will be even more blessed to have them in her life as loving aunties.
.

No comments: