Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Tricyle Named Desire or "KAYLAAAAAA!"

The first years of parenthood are marked by our children's milestones. Now that Benjamin is two-and-a-half, we've been able to check several off the list. His first tooth came at four months of age. He had his first bite of solid food at six months. His took his first steps the day after his first birthday. And now, and two-and-a-half years, he's hit a big one: his first crush.
.
Benjamin first met Kayla when they were about eleven months old. We were all hanging out in the park, and I began chatting with a woman who would one day become a good friend: Kayla's mother Sheila. Two thoughts crossed my mind: one, that Sheila was remarkably put-together for a new mommy (I still remember being impressed by the fact that she was wearing a white jacket - something I will never dare to do as long as I have children in my house), and two, that her daughter was UH-dorable.
.
Fast forward a year and a half. Our families have become close and often hang out together. The fact that our kids are the same age is a plus. In fact, as much as I love seeing Sheila and Marco, I'm pretty sure that Benjamin loves seeing Kayla even more.
.I'll admit that I'm not doing much to discourage his puppy love. Not only do they make a cute couple, but his in-laws would be folks I wouldn't mind sharing Christmas with!
.
Of course, any major decisions about the direction of their courtship are way, waaaaaaay in the future. For now, they're just enjoying doing the things young couples do, like holding hands and going on dates.
.
Chaperoned, of course!
.
Recently, Benjamin's affection for Kayla has become more intense, and I'm wondering if I should be worried. During a recent car trip, Benjamin spotted a car that looked a lot like Sheila's. The poor boy was convinced that it was Sheila's and began crying for Kayla à la Marlon Brando in that famous scene from "A Streetcar Named Desire:"

In case you couldn't understand what he was shrieking in that video, here is the transcript:
.
"I want Kayla. Want Kayla, Kayla, Kayla. Kayla, Kayla, Kayla. I want Kayla! KAY-LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"
.
Yikes. I guess Benjamin still hasn't learned that girls prefer guys who play it cool.

No comments: