Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Big Balls, Little Balls

The other day, Benjamin and I were sitting on the floor reading a book when he suddenly looked at me very intently and asked, "Mama got big balls?" WHAAAAAAT?? I nearly fell over. But then I realized that he was talking about this:
.
Ah, yes, my silver stud earrings which would look like balls to a toddler. And so when he followed up with "Calliope got little balls?", I knew he was talking about this:
.
"Little balls" = Calliope's smaller silver stud earrings. I stifled a smile. But when he looked me dead in the eye and said, "Ben Ben got no balls?", I couldn't help myself. I totally lost it.
.
Poor kid must have been wondering what was so funny about asking Mommy about earrings. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in myself, too. I am, after all, a fully-grown, mature adult woman. So I took a deep breath and calmly explained to Benjamin that Mommy and Calliope are girls, and girls frequently like to wear jewelry in their ears. Satisfied with my answer, he left it alone, and I vowed never to behave like an immature, fart-joke-telling, pre-pubescent boy.
.
Of course, that doesn't mean I can't show you a few more pics...
.
Here are Calliope and I showing off our balls.
.
And here's Calliope pulling on one of my balls.
.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
.

No comments: