Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Whatever, Sheila

You may have noticed someone's been missing from my posts lately: Kayla. You know Kayla. The adorable little girl Benjamin and I first met in the neighborhood park? The daughter of my dear friend Sheila? The love of Benjamin's life? Well, the reason why I haven't mentioned her lately is because she moved. To Kansas City.
.
I know what you're thinking: What the heck is in Kansas City? Well, to hear Sheila tell it, a whole lot. A new job opportunity for hubby Marco, for one. For another, both sets of grandparents live within hours of their new home. Also, they'll be able to live in a house with a yard around it. So, yeah, yeah, I get it... Moving to Kansas City will bring security, community, and comfort to her family. But what about us, Sheila? What about us? Do our weekly lunch dates at the food court mean nothing to you? What about the utter devastation you'll be causing Benjamin? Losing Kayla will be the heartbreak of his two-year-old life. And let's not forget about how awesome LA is. It's sunny, exciting, and fabulous. It's the place every person wants to be.
.
Well, four million of them anyway.
.
In the weeks leading up to their departure, we made sure to spend lots of time with the Ilardis. We got our fill of authentic, local dim sum (won't find that in KC, Sheila!).
.
We had playdates at their house (which is obviously staying here, so nope, you won't find that in KC, either!).
.
We even hired sitters, put on cute clothes, and had a night out on the town (look at all those Asians! You DEFINITELY won't find that in KC, Sheila!).
.
The last few days before they left were especially bittersweet. The four of us who made up the Friday Lunch Crew met up one final time at the mall where we shed tears into our greasy food court meals.
.
The night before they left, we had the Ilardis and the Bowens over for Chinese takeout. Though Sheila, Marco, and Kayla had a busy day ahead of them, we hung out long after dinner was done. We just sat around laughing, talking, and taking pictures. I guess none of us wanted to say goodbye.
.
Especially Kayla and Benjamin.
.
So, it's been about a month since the Ilardis moved. Sheila and I talk, email, and text frequently, which has eased the sting of her leaving. Gotta love technology! Sheila jokes that she'll have to call me when she's out shopping to ask my opinion on which boots to buy or which top to get. I joke that she doesn't have to call me for style advice because everything looks good on her since she's one of those tall, skinny b*tches that other moms love to hate. Joking aside, I do really miss her, and it's been an adjustment not being able to see her every day. But something Benjamin said has helped me feel like she's not that far.
.
The Boo and I were standing in the kitchen one afternoon, when he let rip a rather loud fart. I looked at him and asked, "Benjamin, did you fart?" Cheeks aflame, he looked at the ground and muttered, "No. Kayla farted." After I stopped rolling on the ground in laughter, I realized that there was some wisdom in what he said. Though he was separated from his friend, he was close enough to her in spirit to feel as though she was right there next to him. So that's how I'm going to see my friendship with Sheila, too. She may have moved across the country, but she's still here in spirit. I can pick up the phone and call her at any time. With a bit more effort, I can even hop on a plane and see her in person. But until then, I'll just have to settle for blaming my farts on her.
.
We miss you!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I didn't realize farts could bring tears to my eyes! Love the post & love you guys. I have to agree that I'm so thankful for technology, blogs, easy photosharing, emails, texting, Facebook, great flight deals & the good old telephone to feel like there are no miles between us :)