Thursday, April 1, 2010

To Each Their Own (Baby)

I knew that I might have problems with how Benjamin would behave around his new baby sister. I'd heard nightmare stories about older kids who grew jealous of newborn siblings and acted out by tantruming or hitting. Benjamin has expressed jealousy since Calliope's homecoming, but Mommy isn't the object of his jealousy; Calliope is! As soon as he sees me holding her, he runs over with anxious look on his face, yelling, "Hug! HUUUUG!" If I'm not on guard, he'll try to tackle her and smother her with kisses and hugs. Safety issues aside, it's freakin' adorable.
.
Several people had recommended that I get a baby doll for Benjamin to hold during the times I was holding Calliope. So I went on Amazon.com and purchased the most Asian-looking soft doll I could find. So far, it's worked like a charm! When I see Benjamin running towards me and Calliope with that crazed Boo look in his eye, I say, "Benjamin's baby!" and quickly hand him the doll. It's kind of like being chased by a lion and tossing it a steak to keep from being eaten yourself.
.
To my surprise, he manages to amuse himself quite a bit with his new "baby." In addition to just cudding it when he can't cuddle his sister, he also enjoys doing other things like reading books to it, taking it grocery shopping, and rocking it to sleep in a bouncy chair.
.
Benjamin doesn't neglect the more basic needs a baby might have, either. He changes its diaper, gives it shots, and even nurses it. Yes, you are reading and seeing things correctly: that last picture shows Benjamin attempting to breastfeed his baby doll.
.
So that the baby doesn't feel left out of his own pottying routine, Benjamin also gives it the chance to sit on the loo right next to him.
.
But as fun as his baby doll is, it's no match for the real thing!

1 comment:

Sierra Rein said...

This just made my heart ooze. What a sweet little guy! He'll hate you when he's older for taking some of these pix but forgive you in the end...when he's about 45 ;)