Monday, September 8, 2008

He's a Lover, Not a Fighter

Benjamin gets a hand from Liam.

Maybe it's because of the sunny weather. Maybe it's because he's a precocious little bugger who already understands irony and is acting in direct opposition to the frightful image his mohawk presents. Maybe it's because his mom is so winsome and non-combative herself. Ok, probably not that last one. Whatever the reason, Benjamin has developed into one of the happiest, most sweet-natured creatures I've ever known. Everything gives him reason to smile. Oliver's curly tail, Daddy's goofy faces, tree branches stark against the blue sky, even his own bowel movements bring out a giggle or a grin.


His cheeriness extends to interactions with others, too. During their last playdate, Benjamin's best gal Lucy reached over to inspect his pacifier. She pulled on the pacifier, Benjamin went with it and toppled over. His face scrunched up in protest for a brief moment, and then he was completely fine. Whoa! Had I just fallen on my face I would have pouted for far longer, held a grudge, or both. Instead, Benjamin just kind of shrugged it off and let it go.

A few days later, Benjamin and I went to our first class in the new parent education course we were taking. I found myself feeling a bit overwhelmed by the din and chaos created by the dozens of parents and babies present. Benjamin, however, took it all in stride. He sat back for a moment before diving right into the melee. When classmate Avery crawled over to check out his mohawk, Benjamin said, "No prob, bro. Give the mo' a feelsky." So Avery palmed his head for a second, and the boys went back to playing. Here I was obsessing over whether or not I was looking like fun playdate material or a haggard housewife to these new people, and Benjamin was already out there making connections. Literally.

I suppose I could learn a thing or two from my tiny son. At the tender age of six-and-a-half months, he is able to do things that I no longer can - or have forgotten how to - do. Benjamin goes with the flow, he doesn't take himself too seriously, and he doesn't let his panties get into a bundle over little things. Maybe it's because he's not actually wearing panties yet, but that's all the more reason why I should be able to do the same.

1 comment:

Catherine (aka Lucy's Mommy) said...

A couple of things:
1. I think Benjamin does have a very zen personality
2. I don't think boys wear panties