Friday, September 26, 2008

Like Mother, Like Son?

Benjamin kind of hit another milestone in recent weeks. I say "kind of" because I'm not sure if what he's doing really qualifies as a milestone. He started crawling. Backwards. He'll see something he really wants to grab (like a toy, me, or the pug) and bounce up and down with excitement. Then, with his eyes focused intently on the object of his affection, he'll start moving - in the opposite direction. It doesn't take long before he realizes he's getting farther and farther from his quarry, and that's when the tears start. I was pretty concerned until my mom told me that I did the same thing. I guess that means I have nothing to worry about, because just look at me now. I turned out fine!

Nolan and Benjamin flash goopy smiles while proprietor Theresa looks on.

Thankfully, things are going a little better in the eating department. My little Benjamin has quite a voracious appetite. He has yet to meet a food he doesn't like, though green beans are still somewhat of a hard sell. His current favorites are fresh mashed avocado, ripe banana, and steamed butternut squash. Since it's nice to eat out once in a while, my friends and I arranged a tasting session for our little ones at Homemade Baby, a company that specializes in making 100% organic baby food. I was hoping to expand Benjamin's gastronomic horizons, but he seemed more interested in hanging out with his friend Nolan.

Benjamin's best gal Lucy showed up a little later. Unfortunately, Lucy and her ma Catherine took a wrong turn somewhere and wound up in Crensha-- I mean, Lucy and her ma Catherine were a bit late because they had to stop and save a bunch of nuns from a burning building. As they were waiting, Nolan and Benjamin took time to do some male bonding. They talked about sports, beer, and how excited they were to start eating red meat. As soon as Lucy showed up, though, Benjamin only had eyes for her. And who could blame him? It takes a rare beauty to look this ravishing while covered with organic baby puree!

4 comments:

Catherine (aka Lucy's Mommy) said...

Wait until he sees her with avocado in her hair, that is quite the look!

And seriously, did you have to tell everyone I ended up in Crenshaw? Couldn't you say I was late because I had to rescue a bunch of nuns from a burning building ? Huh?

Debbie Kee said...

Oh Mr. B, Don't "you pity the foo" who's not lucky enough to be spending an afternoon food tasting, flirting with pretty girls, and holding hands with other men your size? Only in Hollywood Mr. B. Only in Hollywood....(but wait... weren't you in Valley?)

You kids are all too cute! Forget food tasting... I'm biting cheeks next time I see you!?!?!?

lilyliuchan@gmail.com said...

What are you talking about, Cath? [insert image of me innocently batting my eyelashes]

Catherine (aka Lucy's Mommy) said...

Don't you bat your eyelashes at me, missy!
You're creative, you could've come up with tons of reasons why I was late, besides Crenshaw or even the burning building full of nuns:
1. I was learning how to knit so I could make another boowarmer for Benjamin
2. I was teaching Palin world geography
3. I was harvesting my crop of cotton I use to weave Lucy's clothes
I mean, come on Lily!